IELTS Reading is marked by certified IELTS examiners, and further analyzed by Cambridge Assessment English. So, scoring high bands in IELTS reading module is a tricky task. Proper strategic approach and test tricks can help you improve your IELTS score.
Here is some expert’s recommended IELTS tips for reading:-
- Strategy to tackle Each type of question – Around 14 type of questions are provided, and having the proper strategy to approach this question will save you time and also find you right answers.
- Skim and Scan – understanding the whole passage while reading is not a good practice which might result in slow processing of the information. Skimming will come handy when it comes to getting the general idea of the reading content. Underlining the keywords during the process will assist you in locating the answers at the earliest in scanning. At an average 2-3 minutes is all you need to skim the entire passage.
- Trying to understand the passage is a waste of time – Almost all the question in this section of IELTS test will be marked on your ability to locate right answers from the passage. Only two questions in this section will require a more specific understanding of the passage.
- Improving Reading Speed – Given a time constraint to all test takers, completing the entire questions on time is really challenging. Efficient reading technique and faster answer locating ability will be plus factor in IELTS reading test. To improve in the IELTS reading module; access our free IELTS reading study material for your practice.
- Improve Vocabulary – Even native English speakers have trouble time when it comes to vocabularies. Improving your vocabularies will help you in understanding of the passage. Understand the emplacement among the words, locating and placing of the verbs and match nouns
- Spotting Keywords – Learning to spot keywords and their appropriate usage will help you in getting high band score. All questions have keywords attached with it to assist you in locating the right answer from the passage. Correct use of Grammar – Proper grammar understanding can help you find the right answer. Questions that require sentences as summary completion and sentence completion most often makes you lose score because of incorrect use of grammar. Improving your grammar can help you score higher bands; go to our practice material and resources link for assistance.
- Daily Reading Practice – Regular practice will always improve your reading skills; hence achieve high IELTS score. Sufficient free Reading materials and resources are provided for all test takers on the given link.
- Knowing you weakness – If you are unable to score to your potential, kindly evaluate the reason for lacking. Improve your technique or strategy to approach the test if you find difficulty in understanding the questions, or locating the right answer, or face time efficiency problem. You should always improve your English language understanding if you are unable to understand the passage.
- IELTS Practice test – Are available online with the intention to prepare candidates with the better understanding of the IELTS test formats, also provides similar experience as the IELTS examination to all test takers.
It helps you to –
- Better understanding of the IELTS test format.
- Beforehand experience of the IELTS test.
- Testing your ability to complete the task within the given time frame.
- On spot answer correction module.
- Properly Planned IELTS Training – Planned IELTS training can help improve your score, and is a necessary exercise if you are aiming to grab higher score bands. Things you should do –
- Increase your vocabulary boundaries.
- Improve your paraphrasing ability.
- Improve your answer locating ability speed.
- Practice all question types.
- Exercise practice test under IELTS exam conditions.
Follow all the above listed tips if you are looking forward to score higher bands in your IELTS test.
Here is the list of IELTS tips for other language abilities –